As UC Davis closes in on securing federal designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution, the university’s HSI Task Force will hold a speakers forum next week addressing “HSI Strategies, Topics and Models.”
“Join us for an afternoon of panels featuring scholars and experts speaking on topics related to what it might mean for UC Davis to be Hispanic-serving — from defining the metrics to rethinking the classroom,” the organizers said.
The forum, with refreshments, is scheduled from 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 24, in the multipurpose room at the International Center. RSVPs are requested here.
HSI Strategies (1-2 p.m.)
- The View from Stuntverkoop — Claudia Martinez, executive director, Education Programs, Diversity and Engagement, UC Office of the President
- Approaches to Funding — Sheryl Soucy-Lubell, director, Interdisciplinary Research Support, Office of Research, UC Davis
- Equity Metrics — Robert Teranishi, professor of social science and comparative education, and co-director of the Institute for Immigration, Globalization and Education, UCLA
Topics in HSI (2-3 p.m.)
- Engaged Scholarship — Michael Rios, director, Office of Public Scholarship and Engagement, and professor, Department of Human Ecology, UC Davis
- Current Interventions to Close the Achievement Gap — Natalia Caporale, lecturer, Department of Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior, UC Davis
- Holistic Admissions — Josephine Moreno, graduate diversity officer for the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (HASS)
- Working Group on Closing the Preparation Gap — Carolyn Thomas, vice provost and dean of Undergraduate Education, and professor of American Studies, UC Davis
- Global Education for All — Nancy Erbstein, academic assistant to the vice provost and associate chancellor of UC Davis Global Affairs,; director of Global Education for All in Global Affairs; and assistant researcher, Department of Human Ecology, UC Davis
Models (3:10-4 p.m.)
- HSI Approaches at an R1 HSI— Pablo Reguerin, associate vice chancellor for Student Achievement and Equity Innovation, UC Santa Cruz
- Pedagogy and Instruction for STEM HSI at the Community College — Marina Ramon, Cabrillo College
Follow Dateline UC Davis on Twitter.