Access to housing is a critical challenge throughout California. UC Davis is pursuing the most ambitious student housing construction initiative in the history of the university – one that exceeds the university’s planned enrollment growth and could provide many options for future students to live on campus with easy access to academic resources.
New housing planned
- UC Davis recently announced that it is raising its goal for new on-campus student housing in its Long Range Development Plan to 8,500 beds from 6,200. This increase would bring the number of beds from 9,818 in 2016-17 to 18,318 at full implementation.
- The campus has started construction on Webster Hall, which will accommodate 400 students and is projected for completion in 2019. Elsewhere, the old Orchard Park family housing facilities have been vacated and will soon be replaced by a new Orchard Park, which will include apartments for 1,400 students. A portion of the units will be rented at below-market rates.
- The proposed expansion of West Village identifies housing for up to 3,800 students.
Where to go for help to find housing
- Student Housing and Dining Services professional staff and property managers in the city of Davis host workshops in fall and winter quarters to help students prepare to look for and secure housing. Topics covered include finding an apartment, living with a roommate, the importance of credit and finance, and leases.
- ASUCD (Associated Student and pupils of UC Davis) hosts an annual Housing Day to help students find housing for the following year. Representatives from many Davis apartment complexes provide information on complexes, floor plans and rental rates.
- To learn more about the various kinds of student housing available, visit our c and
Watch for it
Coming soon is the Aggie Compass, a one-stop location for help with housing, food and other basic needs. It will be located adjacent to the UC Davis Market in the Memorial Union.
Last fall, three new residence halls, called the Tercero 4 complex, opened. This complex can accommodate 506 students.